With the holiday season in full swing, last minute shopping, and families visiting from out of town, it can feel like it brings more stress than joy. If you have found yourself feeling more frazzled than festive, then maybe it is time to try mindfulness practice as part of your holiday self care routine.
This time of year increases levels of anxiety for most of us. Each situation is unique, and some certainly struggle more than others. Yet, the practice of mindfulness has been shown to be effective regardless of your particular level of stress.
Mindfulness reduces stress & anxiety
Mindfulness is the practice of being present and aware in each moment. This includes shifting our focus to the areas that we choose to be important in each day. This skill is often incorporated into clinical treatment for anxiety or depression. Yet, we believe everyone can benefit from practicing these methods. What a great opportunity these next few weeks provide to practice self care and mental wellness.
5 Ways to practice mindfulness
Here are 5 simple ways to shift our focus and practice mindfulness through the holidays:
1. Choose to commit to a simple holiday schedule that allows time for family fun and rest.
2. Before entering a family gathering, shift your focus to ways that you can enrich another person’s day or show gratitude for spending time with one another.
3. At the end of the day, spend five minutes in quiet, relaxed thought about positive moments that happened throughout the day.
4. Take time to enjoy the sights, smells, and sounds of the holiday season. Focus on the joy that they bring to you and others.
5. Choose to let go of things that are out of your control, and shift your focus to way you can enjoy the present moment.
Move forward with lower stress & anxiety
The holiday season can be one of great meaning and gratitude. We believe these techniques of mindfulness are helpful strategies to deal with stress and anxiety that comes at this time of the year.
For many, anxiety and stressful situations interfere with our life more than we want. If you you would like support in practicing mindfulness throughout the year as part of a healthy mental wellness routine, or have questions about our counseling services, then reach out to our staff here at our Greenville, SC counseling clinic.