Child & Teen Counseling
Are you worried about your child or teen’s emotional health? The person you care most about in the world is struggling, and you’re not sure how to help. That’s a tough place to be. You’ve been worried for a while, understandably, and you’re wondering now if counseling might be part of the solution. Can you resonate with one of the following descriptions?
Signs & Symptoms of Child & Teen Emotional Problems
- Your teen is struggling more to connect with peers and has been far more irritable at home.
- The pressure for school achievement has gotten out of control, and this isn’t sustainable.
- You’re asking yourself, “How do I know difference between an underlying issue like an anxiety disorder, ADHD or just normal teenage stress?”
- She’s withdrawing more and showing signs of going down a scary, unhealthy path.
- You’ve caught him caught smoking or drinking again, and you’re at a loss.
- Your elementary-age-child is having more problems at school. Academic performance is declining, but contact from the teacher who has “serious concerns” is increasing.
- There’s more anger at home. He can’t seem to get his act together, and you can’t find the right consequence or discipline system that works.
- Your kid who’s always been shy now has an anxiety level that’s clearly higher than the other kids.
- Her confidence level is falling, and your best encouragement doesn’t seem to be getting through.
I’m not trying to add-on to your parent guilt here. You’ve probably got enough of that by now. Quit beating yourself up for not intervening earlier. Hindsight is 20/20, but it’s not fair to judge your past by what you only know from the present. You’re here now, and that’s what matters.
Child or Teen Counseling can help
Here’s the good news: Your child or probably wants many of the same changes to happen that you’re longing for. You might verbalize or express these things differently, but that’s not a huge problem. Odds are, you share a goal with your child, probably more than you realize. What matters is this–Are you willing to take an honest look at the problem, do your due diligence to find an approach that works, and be open to changing yourself in the process? If so, be encouraged and have some hope.
What to expect from Child or Teen Counseling
We love working with teens and children to help them “own” their desires for healthy growth and development. Using evidence-based strategies, our team provides coping skills to kids so they can deal with the stress of their life, understand their own strengths and weaknesses, and achieve their potential.
We have conversations with parents all the time to help differentiate normal developmental issues from the more serious, underlying emotional and behavioral problems. Even better, we have the clinical skill and experience to support teens, kids and families affected by these very real challenges:
- ADHD (Attention Deficit/Hyperactive Disorder)
- Anxiety disorders
- Oppositional defiance
- Learning challenges
- Behavior problems
- Childhood trauma & adjustment problems
You are still the key ingredient during your child or teen’s counseling.
What makes us different is that we believe you, the parents, are your child’s key ingredient more than us. For us, this isn’t mere lip-service. We operate our practice based on this reality. We don’t do counseling with teens or children that is completely detached from your family system—it’s just not as effective. Plus, we don’t believe it’s ethical to leave you in the dark when it comes to your child’s mental and emotional health. When you work with our counselors, we provide parent-consultation to you independently, all along the way, so that you stay informed about your child’s goals, progress, and find the most effective ways that you can be supporting your child.
Begin Teen Counseling or Child Counseling in Greenville, SC
Whether it’s social pressures, anxiety, depression, ADHD, or something else, we are committed to being a source for emotional health in the lives of teens and children. Our team of skilled counselors has years of experience working with children and teens in counseling, as well as helping parents. If your teen or child is struggling with emotional concerns, call us today to set up a Free 20-Minutes Phone Consultation with a licensed counselor from our Greenville, SC counseling clinic.